Some of kids’ favorite memories from childhood are events like
Vacation Bible School (VBS). However, planning for this week long combination of games, stories, music and snacks can be stressful and very time consuming. Plus, there’s always a theme that requires creative and imaginative decoration. So, that’s where we can help!
The Setting, The Props and The Accessories
Under the Sea theme can easily be combined with nautical or beach themes for more variety and decorating options. Combining these three themes comes in handy particularly when creating a unique scene for all of the rooms involved in your week of VBS. Instead of having the entire setting designed to look like life under the ocean, you can create your journey to the ocean floor in various stages.
Stage 1 - On The Deck
Stage 2 - Moving to the Beach
- The second phase or activity during your VBS could move onto the beach. Ocean and sky backdrops create your second scene.
- Also involved in this stage are starfish cutouts. These creatures could easily be added to the backdrops on the walls, or they could decorate the floors and tables in the room. Inflatable lobsters can also be used this way.
- To decorate the ceiling, you could use ocean bird whirls. And for special lighting during this stage? Seashell string lights would be superb!
- Other props that could compliment this stage are baskets of seashells and lighthouse cutouts.
Stage 3 - Diving to the Ocean Floor
- Now for the big event of VBS - the under the sea stage! This stage could be used for the most important activity or activities of the night. The scene can be set with anundersea backdrop and an ocean floor border.
- Props for the bottom of the ocean include marine life, sea creature and coral reef cutouts.
- Fish whirls could be your hanging decorations during this phase, while sea creature centerpieces could embellish your tables.
- Jointed sharks and inflatable fish could be used as floor decorations.
- Also, during this stage, children could replace their sailor hats with fish hats instead.
Make your move under the sea in stages with a combination of themes. You’ll probably have almost just as much fun decorating for VBS as the kids will attending it!